Saturday, March 17, 2012

On Making Decisions

(originally written on August 6, 2011)

I see myself as more of a planner and less of a risk-taker. My steps are often calculated. I have a habit of thoroughly figuring things out and weighing my options very well before making a decision. I prefer certainty and clarity over possibilities.

These may sound like wise things to do and nothing is wrong. But as I take time to examine what’s in my heart that causes me to be overly-cautious, I see glimpses of fear and lack of faith.

When making decisions, I have been trained to pray, seek God through His word, and listen to counsel of people who love God. Recently, God has been giving me fresh insights from already classic principles about decision-making and obedience. Let me share them with you:
  • “It is God who works in us to make us willing and able to obey Him” – Philippians 2:13. As we yield to God, He puts the right decision in our hearts and enables us to move forward. He is both powerful and loving – He can and will keep us in His will.
  • “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” Psalm 119:105. Dive deep into the Word of God. It has all the answers.
  • Thinking about deciding is not the same as actually making a decision. The latter requires faith that translates to action. “…faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.” James 2:1
  •  Sometimes, we just have to stop figuring things out and simply start making brave steps with the courage God gives. Always leave a big room for God to amaze us!
  • Stay close to God. Any moment, He can introduce a twist. It’s important that we stay glued to His moves. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:9
  • Never hold on to something too tightly, except on God who always gives us a reason to hope.
  • Come to God with open hands and be ready when He chooses to rearrange, take or change what we have in our hands. It will always be for our best interest.
  • Obedience always brings a blessing – far more than what we can ask or imagine!
  • Decisions and actions done to obey and please God will always give peace. Even if we have taken a big risk and made a difficult choice, God’s peace will flood our hearts. It transcends all understanding and any other feelings.
  • “Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for Him” Psalm 37:7. The Lord makes everything beautiful in His time. Sometimes, it will take long – wait patiently. Other times, we will need to catch the “kairos” or God’s opportune time – obey immediately. The key is BEING STILL BEFORE GOD, so we will know.

And if you would ask me what’s best about going through a process of discernment and decision-making? It offers plenty of sweet time with God and allows us to know God more and experience His love like never before! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment